Support OJ 
Contribute Today
En
Support OJ Contribute Today
Search mobile
Diplomacy

Italian government opposes Russian and Belarusian athletes at Milan-Cortina Paralympics

Italian government opposes Russian and Belarusian athletes at Milan-Cortina Paralympics
Article top vertical

The Italian government has spoken out against allowing Russian and Belarusian athletes to participate in the Milan-Cortina Paralympic Games.

In a joint statement, Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani and Sports Minister Andrea Abodi said that the government strongly disagrees with the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to admit six Russian and four Belarusian athletes, allowing them to display their national symbols, including their anthems.

“The government reiterates its disagreement, previously expressed along with 33 other countries and the European Commission, regarding the full reinstatement of the Russian and Belarusian Paralympic Committees decided by the IPC General Assembly on September 27. Italy renews its full solidarity and unconditional support for Ukraine, and calls on the IPC to reconsider this decision,” the ministers said.

The Italian government calls on the IPC to reconsider this decision.

“The ongoing violation of the truce and the ideals of the Olympic and Paralympic movement by Russia, supported by Belarus, is deemed incompatible with the participation of their athletes in the Games, except as neutral individual athletes,” emphasized Tajani and Abodi.

The Winter Paralympic Games will be held from March 6 to 15.

Share this article

Facebook Twitter LinkendIn